Hockey games typically last for a specific amount of time, which can vary depending on the level of play and the type of hockey being played. Here are five supporting facts about the duration of hockey games:
1. Professional hockey games, such as those in the National Hockey League (NHL), are divided into three periods, each lasting 20 minutes. Therefore, the total regulation playing time is 60 minutes.
2. However, players get some breaks during the game, as there are two intermissions that separate the three periods. The first intermission usually lasts 17 minutes, while the second intermission between the second and third periods lasts for around 15 minutes.
3. In the event of a tie at the end of regulation time, NHL games go into overtime, which consists of a five-minute sudden death period. If neither team scores during this time, the game enters a shootout to determine the winner.
4. College and international hockey games generally adhere to similar rules, with three periods of 20 minutes each. However, there may be some variations in the length of intermissions.
5. For younger age groups or recreational leagues, the duration of hockey games can be adjusted to accommodate the players’ physical abilities and attention spans. It is not uncommon to see shorter game times, with periods lasting 15 or even 10 minutes.
Now, let’s move on to some frequently asked questions and detailed answers about the length of hockey games:
1. How long is an NHL hockey game?
– An NHL hockey game lasts for a total of 60 minutes, divided into three periods of 20 minutes each.
2. Are there any breaks during a hockey game?
– Yes, there are two intermissions during an NHL game. The first intermission typically lasts 17 minutes, while the second one is around 15 minutes.
3. What happens if the game is tied after regulation time in the NHL?
– If the game is tied after regulation time, a five-minute sudden death overtime period begins. If neither team scores during this period, a shootout follows to determine the winner.
4. How long do college hockey games last?
– College hockey games follow a similar format to the NHL, with three periods of 20 minutes each. However, the intermission times may vary.
5. Do youth hockey games have the same duration as professional games?
– No, youth hockey games often have shorter durations to accommodate the age group’s physical capabilities and attention spans. Periods in youth games can range from 10 to 15 minutes each.
6. Why do hockey games have intermissions?
– Intermissions allow players to rest and recover between periods. They also provide an opportunity for ice resurfacing and commercial breaks for broadcasting purposes.
7. How long is a hockey game including the time for intermissions and stoppages?
– Including intermissions and stoppages, an NHL hockey game usually takes around two and a half to three hours to complete.
BOTTOM LINE: The length of a hockey game can vary depending on the level of play and the specific league’s rules. Professional games, like those in the NHL, last for 60 minutes, divided into three 20-minute periods, with two intermissions. College and international games adhere to a similar format, but with potential variations in intermission length. Youth hockey games are often shorter to suit the players’ needs.